Sunday, April 16, 2006

LIFE IS IN THE BLOOD

Today I was at Joo Chiat CC to donate blood! My first time! When Gary asked me during the week whether I could participate in the blood donation drive, I don't know why but I just said 'Ok' though I had told Meiling some weeks back that I wouldn't dare to. I was actually slated for the very last drive, but last minute decided to go for today's one.

How did I feel about donating blood? If I say that I am not nervous, I would be lying hee... cos I started to get a wee bit anxious upon arriving at the CC. Gary and Meiling were there too cos Gary was also one of the blood donors.

First things first, registration! Had to fill up a questionnaire

After medical screening, had a check done on my blood haemoglobin level to ensure that I can give blood... my right middle finger was pierced with an instrument, just as if someone 'kiap' your finger with a stapler hahahaha... this step involved a stinging pain for about 2 seconds

Next, I got onto one of the donor chairs and lay there, waiting for the procedure to begin... The pink stress ball in my left hand is meant for me to press while the blood is flowing out from my veins into the blood bag... believe it or not, at this point I felt like crying

Sterilizing my arm first

Injection! Localised painkiller being applied to my arm so that I won't feel any pain during the donation... feels like an ant bite... I didn't look, turned my head away the whole time... by this time, I was more or less calmed down and relaxed :)

Inserting a sterile needle for the donation into one of my veins

Needle all in! Didn't feel any pain at all, except a slightly 'strange' feel within the first few seconds in the place where the needle was inserted. Other than that, my blood was flowing well.

My blood bag

On closer look: Aaaaahhh!!! Such a thick needle!!!

Meiling beside me giving me her support :) Meanwhile... Gary is opposite me donating blood

All done! Needle taken out, just applying pressure to the needle site while I rest for a while... so happy!

I have a bright green Dino bandage to match my green shirt hee...

Sense of fulfilment and satisfaction. *Phew!

Got a "cert" with my photo at the end of everything!

Bandage off within 2 hours... see the red spot on my arm? That's the needle site

Received a goodie bag too! Posted by Picasa

What a meaningful Easter :) Giving blood, giving life. Really thank God that I felt physically well throughout the entire process. No fainty feeling, no weakness in my limbs, everything felt ok. Thank God for a strong body, and for the courage to press on and make it through. And many thanks to Gary and Mei also for being so encouraging and supportive, cheering me on along the way. Thanks Mei, for taking pics of the procedure from beginning to end so that I have wonderful memories to store up. I certainly didn't regret donating blood at all :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home