Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Story of Char Kway Teow and the Common Cockle

Yesterday I ordered a plate of char kway teow for lunch. In case you all think the pic above and below depicts the amount of char kway teow I consumed, please don't be mistaken. I did not capture any pics of the kway teow so I found these pic on the net instead. Mouth-watering hor??

The char kway teow came with egg, fishcake and cockles. Known as the common cockle or Cerastoderma edule, it is found "buried or partially in mud and sand in estuaries and on expansive beaches"

See the 2 identical shell valves?

Together they make up a heart-shape. The 'stripes' or 'grooves' (to me) on the outer surface is actually known as "radiating ridges" Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynnette said...

once again.. another blog post full of food.. muahaha.. puts a smile on my face and leaves a puddle of saliva on my keyboard.. mahhaha....

yeah.. i love cockles.. give me a heap of them.. and they'd be down in no time..

all the food.... just by seeing them makes me HAPPY... mahahaha

10:00 AM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

Haha... yea the char kway teow looks really delicious.

I like cockles and lala especially. Mussels might be a bit too 'toxic' for my digestive system cos I remembered having food poisoning once after consuming mussles.. maybe they not clean at that time...

But I will say 'Yes' to oysters anytime though! Cooked ones, that is.. :)

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home