Saturday, March 11, 2006

A TIME TO REMEMBER

It just dawned upon me that I fell and injured my left foot on this very day 2 years ago. I had just completed and printed out a History module assignment from the NUS AS7 comp lab and was rushing to LT11 for History lecture because the deadline for that assignment was 10am that morning. In my attempt to walk a little bit faster down the flight of stairs next to Coffee Club Express, I missed not just one, but 3-4 steps all at once! Down I went and landed on my left foot! The impact of that fall was so great that I couldn't move at all when I landed and for a moment, I thought I broke my leg. But thank God, no, I didn't, as I could remove my shoe and still find my foot there in one piece. But it was excruciatingly painful and I could only limp after that acute blow.

Thank God again that my friend was with me at that point in time and another student who was a stranger to us came and helped me up. My friend accompanied me to the University Health and Wellness Centre straightaway (even in that condition we managed to walk to the bus shelter and hop onto the internal shuttle bus that brings us to Yusof Ishak House where the Centre was). The lady doctor there examined my foot, said she didn't think I broke any bones and advised me to place an ice pack on my foot to reduce the swelling. That day was a Thursday and there was cell group at my place that night. Still remember Estee came and 'diagnosed' that it could be a torn ligament. Cell group prayed for me and the next day, though my mother urged me to rest at home, I inched my way to service on shuttle bus (also thank God that Nan Yen came specially to the bus stop near my house to help me move along).

When the swelling didn't subside after 2-3 days, under my aunt's recommendation I went to this Chinese sinseh in Ang Mo Kio who was reputed to be very good in treating such foot and ankle injuries. Usually he will do the Traditional Chinese Massage (Tuina) but in my case, he said he couldn't because if he went ahead with it, my tissue will tear. So he merely applied medicine on my foot and bandaged it (which I'm very thankful for). Within 3 days, the bandage was off and the swelling was very much reduced.

However, there was still a lingering pain in my ankle joints and I walked with a limp for almost 2 months. In the end, I was referred by Ang Mo Kio Polyclinic to Tan Tock Seng Hospital to undergo physiotherapy, which lasted for about 8 weeks or so. An X-ray scan beforehand showed that I had suffered a slight hairline crack in my bone, so the physiotherapy activities and exercises were meant to help me regain balance, coordination, flexibility and strength. With some form of activity, I also learned that the injured area receives the blood flow it requires for recovery. The physiotherapy started after my semester exams and went on in progress during the May and June holidays.

During this entire period, God was with me (as He always is) and He brought friends to me who showed me their care and concern which I was very touched by. God's grace was with me too for He sustained me all the way even when I went for service and cell group. Of course my parents were worried for me and felt I should rest and not move around too much. But I was happy going to church and cell group and didn't want to miss out on what God was doing in our midst then. To everything there is a season, and God's timing is always perfect... by the end of physiotherapy, I had regained my sense of balance and could walk properly and normally again. And the timing was just nice, for physiotherapy ended just one week before the new school term began. Praise God for that healing work He did :) God's faithfulness never fails. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home