Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Child Protection And Welfare

This morning I had an informal chit-chat session with the deputy director of the Child Protection and Welfare Branch at MCYS. She's a very warm and nice lady... made me feel at home in her office... even asked me if I wanted an iced barley drink. Beforehand I was quite nervous actually as I sat in the waiting room. So I just prayed and prayed, remembering that God says 'Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God'. And gradually, the anxiety just went off and I felt very calm and at ease. Thank God for that... :) After some time of waiting and flipping through some magazines that the HR personnel kindly brought to me, I was brought to the deputy director's office.

She wanted to meet up with me because she wanted to assess how suitable I am in terms of handling child abuse cases, which involve not just working with children but also with the parents. From what she shared, the work is very tough and emotionally exhausting, and workers frequently have to handle very angry or aggressive parents. Sharp and acute decision-making, as well as sharpness in detecting whether something is amiss are very crucial because it concerns the safety and interest of the child. A very thin line is also drawn between deciding to let the child continue to stay with the parents and removing the child from the home to protect the child... So today I learnt quite a bit of what the work in Child Protection and Welfare is like.

Nothing is confirmed yet, cos the deputy director will get back to the HR department first to discuss, and will also look out for other areas / departments that I could possibly be placed in. So I'll just continue to pray and trust God to place me where He has called me to :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home